‘Kitchen Saver’ Fresh Blended Galangal
Kitchen Saver’ Fresh Blended Galangal has a spicy, peppery and tart taste compared to ginger. It has a slightly citric taste with a little bit of heat. Fresh galangal can also offer a sourish, menthol flavour that is often popular when used in cooking Tom Yam Soup.
Let’s Cook Thai Green Curry
- 1 stalk lemongrass (minced OR 3 Tbsp. prepared frozen or bottled lemongrass, available at Asian stores)
- 3 green chilies (sliced, bird’s eye chilies OR jalapeno)
- 4 tablespoons purple onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon ‘Kitchen Saver’ Fresh Blended Galangal (the choice to use more or less is your preference, but remember too much would over power the dish)
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander (chopped, leaves & stems)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper (available in most supermarket spice aisles)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 to 1 can coconut milk (enough to blend ingredients together)
- Cilantro for garnish
- Proteins of your choice (Chicken, seafood, beef. Pan-fry them ahead of time to cut down your cooking process)
- Vegetables of your choice (Carrots, cauliflower, French beans. Blanche in hot water for 1 minnute to cut down your cooking process)
- 1 cup of stock (your preference)
- Place ingredients 1 to 14 in a food processor, chopper, or blender.
- Process well to form a fragrant Thai green curry paste. Taste-test it for salt and spice. If too salty, add a squeeze of fresh lime or lemon juice. Add more chilli for more heat. Your curry paste is now ready to be used. You can bottle up any leftovers and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Freeze thereafter.
- Heat a wok, large frying pan or pot over medium-high heat.
- Add 2-3 Tablespoons of oil and swirl around. Then add the green curry paste. Stir-fry until fragrant (1 minute).
- Add 1 cup stock plus your proteins (meat, seafood) and preferred vegetables.
- Simmer until ingredients are cooked, gradually adding 1/2 to 1 can coconut milk until you’re happy with the taste, thickness and quantity of gravy.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with steaming rice or sticky Thai rice.
To know more about galangal, please click here
To see more food products on HalalStreet UK, please click here