Sambal Ikan Bilis using DRIED ANCHOVY PREMIUM QUALITY (PEELED AND CLEANED) It is one of the popular dish accompaniment for the Malaysia Nasi Lemak. You should try it with this recipe, it is fast and easy.
1 bowl DRIED ANCHOVY PREMIUM QUALITY (PEELED AND CLEANED) – wash, drain & pat dry
1 large Red Onion (sliced)
Palm sugar (chopped)
15g Tamarind paste mixed with 1/2 cup of water, discard the solids
1 tablespoon Belacan powder / Belacan cube (Shrimp Paste)
Salt to taste
(To blend into a paste)
6 pieces Shallots
6 cloves Garlic
1 piece Red Onion
12 pieces Dried Chili
3 pieces Red Chili
- Wash the DRIED ANCHOVY PREMIUM QUALITY (PEELED AND CLEANED), drain and pat dry with kitchen paper towel. Set aside.
- Put in all the Chili Paste ingredients into the blender and blend well until it forms a paste.
- Next, heat up the frying pan with oil and fry the anchovies until golden brown and crispy. Remove from pan and dry the excess oil with a paper towel.
- In a clean frying pan, add some oil and put in the blended chilli paste. Use medium heat as the paste tends to burn easily.
- When the chilli paste starts to change slightly darker in colour, add in the palm sugar and stir.
- Then, add in the belacan powder and continue stirring.
- Add in the sliced red onion and stir again.
- After that, put in the tamarind water and mix well.
- Season with salt to taste. If you prefer sweeter sambal, you may add in more sugar.
- Lastly, mix in the fried anchovies.
- Your sambal is now ready. Enjoy!
DRIED ANCHOVY PREMIUM QUALITY (PEELED AND CLEANED) is now available on HALALSTREET UK.