Mee siam, which means “Siamese noodle” in Malay, is a dish of thin rice vermicelli, originating from Maritime Southeast Asia, popular in Malaysia. It is said to have originated from the Malay community. As the name suggests, it is inspired or adapted from Thai flavours.
In Malaysia, it is served with spicy, sweet and sour light gravy. The gravy is made from a rempah spice paste, tamarind and taucheo (salted soy bean). Mee Siam is typically garnished with shredded omelette, scallions, bean sprouts, garlic chives, and lime wedges. There is a “dry” version of this, which is essentially stir frying the rice noodles with the same ingredients.
Mee Siam is commonly eaten for breakfast, brunch, lunch or diner in Malaysia. They are usually served along any of the followings sides: Malaysia’s fried chicken, fried or boiled egg, specialty Sambal Tumis (spicy sauce).
How to cook ?
- Sauté 1 tablespoon of LEOMIE Mee Siam paste in a pan for a minute or 2.
- Add in salt and sugar to suit your taste.
- Add in 200gm beehoon (rice vermicelli) that has been soaked in hot water to bloom.
- Stir fry it and serve it with garnishes you like.
- A light treat any time of the day.
- Add in remaining LEOMIE Mee Siam paste in a pan.
- Add in 650ml of water and stir well. Add in salt and sugar to suit your taste.
- Bring to a boil and leave it to simmer on medium heat for 30 mins.
- You can add in shrimps if you like
- Serve it on the stir fried bee hoon with garnishes that you like.
- A real soupy treat for that cold days that will leave spiciness, sweetness and sourness on your taste buds.
Fried bean curd, bean sprouts, boiled eggs, plain omelette, chives, lime wedges and prawns
What is rice vermicelli?
Rice vermicelli is a thin form of rice noodles made of ground rice. They are sometimes referred to as rice noodles or rice sticks. Rice vermicelli is a part of several Asian cuisines, where they are often eaten as part of a soup dish, stir-fry, or salad.
Watch our Youtube Video on how to use our LEOMIE Paste!
To view more food products from HalalStreet UK, please click here