Batang Buruk or in English translate as Old Bark is a very popular tradition in Malaysia. It is a kind of a dessert made from wheat flour mixed with rice flour and coconut flour that is kneaded into dough and formed into a hollow cylindrical shape and served with fried green bean powder.
The name of the Old Bark is probably due to the shape of a tree trunk but is covered with green bean powder making it look like a bad tree. Apparently, it was called Old Bark. When forming a dough, the stems are usually used to form a cylindrical dough.
These Batang Buruk or Old Bark are popular all over Malaysia. They are widely made, and are sold everywhere during festive seasons such as Hari Raya Aidilfitri and Hari Raya Aidil Adha and do not need to be booked in advance. As it is easy to make and available everywhere, meanwhile certain kuih need to book in advance.
Batang Buruk is less popular among young people as a daily meal because it is a sweet cake. Green bean flour used to coat the outside of it also sticks to the finger of the person who eats it and is easily digested causing a person to be careful when eating it, and to wash their hands after eating it
BATANG BURUK COOKIES
Ingredients needed :
300 gram of wheat flour
1/2 of coconut milk
300 gram of mung beans powder (skins peeled)
200 gram of icing sugar
Here is how it’s prepared :
- First, heat coconut milk into a pot and let it boils. After that turn off the heats and let it cools with cold water. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, mix mung bean powder with icing sugar. Mix well and set aside.
- To prepare the dough, mix wheat flour, rice flour, coconut milk and an egg. Mix well until it turns to dough. Knead the dough until it does not stick to the hand.
- After that roll thinly and cuts into 2cm x 3cm. Cover with plastic when rolling it. After that roll and make a hole at the centre.
- Fry into a hot pan until it turns golden brown. Remove and sieve the oil.
- Lastly coated with mung beans powder and icing sugar. Batang buruk cookies are ready to be served.
Click here to discover other Malaysian food products that are as delicious as this one.